Monday, July 13, 2009

At a Patek Philippe AD


I was window shopping for watches at the local mall contemplating a purchase of a IWC Mark XVI or a Rolex GMT Master II stainless steel (which cost twice as much as the IWC). There was a Patek Philippe store nearby an I spied a rose gold Ref. 51119 in the window display. Now, the Patek Philippe 5119 is white gold has been my grail watch since I saw the older Ref. 3919 in an advertisement at the back of an issue of the time magazine back in the 80's.

There was a gentleman and his wife inside inquiring about another Patek. I inquired about the price and availability of the Patek Philippe 5119G (white gold) and was told 659K local (which is a bit more than double the price of the Rolex GMT Master II). The gentleman asked if i was purchasing one, and said no, I did not have the money for that now, but it is something I would like to buy before I retire. We than had a chat about the fine watches watches we were looking at.

I noticed they had a white gold Ref. 5119G under the display case. Despite the fact that the sales representative overheard that I was not buying one (yet), the she asked me if I wanted to see the watch at the same time handing me the one from the display case. The case and the clasp were protected by a thin layer of clear wrapping and the watch was handed to me carefully. Holding it my hand, I quickly returned the watch. I did not want to hold it for too long, less I drop it or something. The gentleman and I ended out chat and it looking like a purchase was imminent, and I left to leave them to their business.

I could not help but thinking, Patek not only makes watches that makes it buyers feel special, through their dealers also have staff that make prospective customers feel as special as the watches they make. While I remain a prospective customer, I will be back, means availing. I was sold on the watch long ago, and now I am sold on the company as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment