Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Baselworld 2010: 39mm Rolex Explorer I


Ref. 214270. I think we were wrong about the new Explorer II (or maybe not), it is not in the press kit. But we were right about there being a new Explorer I being released at Baselworld 2010.



The new Explorer I has a larger brushed finished 39mm case. The style does not depart much from the previous version. The proportions of the case seems right to us. but the hands seem little to thin and too short. Carried over from the previous 36mm model maybe? The most controversial aspect will be the 3-6-9 markers which instead of being illuminated are now in white gold. The illuminated sections are now using Chromolite which produces a hue of blue. Might look stunning in bright light though. Oh, by the way, it has a matte black dial which we love.


The watch also gets a new Oysterlock clasp with Easylink comfort extension link. Inside, is a new COSC certified Calibre 3132 movement, with a Parachrom hairspring with Breguet overcoil and Paraflex shock absorbers.

We were hoping for something more, but maybe best that Rolex did not mess with it too much. It is a classic after all. All in all, I think it is a winner. I never considered buying the older Explorer I. I liked the design enough, but it seem a bit too small for a sports watch. The 39mm size is perfect for me, I love the matter dial, and the conservative changes (no giant wide lugs) appeal to me. Will definitely give this one a look when it gets to the local AD.

March 18, 2010 Update: New Explorer II?


About Rolex. Rolex SA is a Swiss manufacturer of wristwatches and accessories founded in 1905 by Hans Wilsdorf and Alfred Davis. Rolex is the largest single luxury watch brand by far, producing over 2000 watches per day. Rolex is the best known and most sought after watch brand in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment