Friday, July 5, 2013

The Sony SmartWatch2 ... Where they are getting it wrong

I know many of the readers of this blog look at Smart Watches with disdain. Whether you what wear on your wrist is a humble offering or a Patek Philippe, it must be a mechanical watch. I myself really, don't like to wear anything else, with one exception.

One of the most valuable watches in my small repertoire is a Casio G-Shock. It is my companion my most interesting trips. Up mountains, and down into caverns. It is not only because it is though, but also because it is relatively inexpensive to replace should some unfortunate incident occur. When replacement time comes, I have my eyes set on a more capable one, Altimeter, Barometer, Compass and GPS.  


So, Sony has now launched its second Smart Watch, and the tech community is abuzz with talk of wearable technology. The second Sony Smart Watch has a 1.6-inch LCD display and runs on the Android operating system. Again it is a watch designed for daily use, as an accessory for you smartphone.


I keep going back to the same question. If I had easy access to a 5-inch Sony Xperia Z in my pocket or belt pouch, why would I bother glancing at a 1.6-inch display on my wrist when I have a 5-inch display in full 1080p glory within easy reach.

It is a bit different, when I have my phone secure in a water proof case tucked into my backpack.  I can appreciate a nice Smart Watch. Just give me a give me an Armored Droid to wear on my wrist.

No comments:

Post a Comment